
I'm an intensity junkie... no doubt. The past few weeks have been just nuts in prepping for this exam. I was averaging about 6 sections (35 minutes each) per day, some days dipping and some days going up to 10 sections. Of course collateral activities make up large parts of the day as well.
I woke up at 3am to take my get focused meds and woke up promptly at five. I suited up and went for a brisk walk. It was dark and cold but it got my brain awake and ready to work. I made breakfast and pulled out my old practice packets to warm up. I got an annoying problem I couldn't for some reason figure out. Odd. I'm pretty sure it was flawed. When I showed my tutor previous problems I couldn't figure out after staring at them for a long while, he couldn't either. So apparently, the collection of problems published as flawed prove not to be exhaustive.
I showed up a half hour early and recognized someone from my prep class. So, I asked the person behind him if I could cut in line. As I did so, I noticed this super hot guy behind her. OMG. His chest was so fucken hot. It stuck out like the most gorgeous shelf. His face was equally daunting. His shoulders were really broad. Suddenly, I realized that I had seen this guy prior. At least I thought I had. It would've been about five years ago now.
"Excuse me, but is your name Grant?", I asked in a somewhat overly happy gay-tone of voice;)
He was pleasantly surprised by my question, but saddened by having to say that no, that name was not his. "Oh, I'm sorry, I thought you were someone I once knew", and then I mentioned the name of the school where I thought I had met him.
He was then confused and said, "I did go to school there. " He smiled big and asked, "What year are you?"
"Oh, I didn't go there, my best friend from high school did."
"Wait, I do remember you!" he said with an increase in volume.
Then we both said the name of my best friend at the same time. Small world. No kidding. This guy was my best friend's first boyfriend in college. First boyfriend, because my friend did not come out until college.
He reintroduced himself to me, and I realized that I had called him Grant because his real name sounds like it and it starts with a G. So I'll just call him G on forth.
We met only briefly back in college. My flight had been canceled during a visit to another friend's place. My friend, having left, couldn't host me again when the news of the cancellation hit.
So I called up my friend whose campus was only 40minutes away. That night, he said to me, "Cool, you can come with me and my boyfriend to get ice cream."
I was in the closet even to myself back then, and I was so homophobic, it must have been great comedy to watch me around gay guys.
I remember I got in and showered before my best friend who I will call Sam. He showered after me, when G showed up. I was in Sam's room changing, and I heard Sam's roommate let G into the living room. I couldn't here very well so I wasn't sure if it was him or someone else. I also couldn't tell if it was one or more people who were ushered into the suite.
My friend Sam is a very quiet and shy guy. He's generically attractive, but not in any sort of dramatic way. His body was the same way. Athletic and defined, but not in a way that necessarily made me lust. I guess he was a good friend to have in the sense that romance was not going to come up... at least on my end. However, Sam was brilliant-- there was absolutely no doubt. Ever since we were kids--Sam stuck out for how incredibly intelligent he was. We became friends while building a physics project together in middle school. We had a blast:)
But back to the point, I never thought he would go get any one who was hot. I expected someone like him. Sam hadn't struck me as the daring type or one with a flair for the dramatic, but then again, you never what people will be like once they leave the closet.
Still pulling on my belt, I walked out to the living room and looked around. I had seen G sitting but I had assumed without even fully looking at him that he couldn't be Sam's boyfriend. With just a cursory glance I knew that.
But when I saw no one else I looked at G and immediately looked away in a slow yet polite way. He did the same thing. Then both of our jaws seemed to fall. As we slowly regained our composure, we managed to look at each other. I was floored. Both by his hotness and by the possibility of what his reaction to me might have meant.
I opened my mouth with the most prepared confidence possible--the kind you pull out of your ass when you're meeting your best friend's first boyfriend. He did the exact same thing.
In slightly overly-deep tones of voices, we both said, "Oh... you must be so and so..." I wonder if there was any surprise in his tone of voice. From my part, there was definitely some. "It's good to meet you," we said in unison. He got up to shake my hand and I couldn't believe that with even a coat on, his pec-shelf still jutted out prominently.
We went to ice cream and chatted up a storm. G had apparently not grown up in a wealthy family, although his campus dripped money. I felt kind of bad for him. In terms of monetary elitism, his university was absolutely unforgiving. Sam came from a very affluent background, but didn't have any of the associated attitude. In that sense, Sam was perfect for him.
We got back, got dressed and went to party row. I was painfully shy back then. I tried to talk to G, but G was the complete opposite. He was so confident and was too busy dancing with every hot girl in each party we attended. Sam was finding girls with whom to dance as well. Eventually, I just left and headed back to bed.
G eventually dumped my best friend. I heard bad things about him later, such as him being a ho. I remember loving the way he walked, his incredible chest, impossibly trim v-shaped waist, and almond-like green eyes.
That his advice to Sam after the break-up was to go get a wax job, get some gay clothes, and go gay clubbing so that his self-esteem would improve---was the last thing I heard about him. I laughed really hard at that line.
So of course, all of these things were swirling in my mind when we were in line. Did he like me back then? Would he still like me now? I haven't spoken to Sam in years. Then G said he hadn't either. I had recently e-mailed Sam.
What brought you to our city I asked? He loved it here he said. He lived in the heart of the gayborhood. He was looking to purchase property there soon.
We talked and talked while the line kept getting shorter. He was driven, had a passion for justice, and told me how he fitted into the plan for a better world. I listened to him as I also heard him utter the funniest superficialities. He was pushing my buttons. Could there possibly be someone out there with ideals and a will to act on them and yet be as superficial as me??? OMG!
I got his number. We're hanging out. I e-mailed Sam. We should be hanging out soon too. It'll be hopefully good to get to know G. I don't know any gay people like him--or me. So that's mega-cool.
The test itself went without a hitch. I think I did okay.
My globe-trotter friend had texted me during exam time. She was at the airport and up for dinner if I was too. She was however at a port in the burbs. So I had to do a bit of driving. But of course, she is one of my best friends--and she just got married. So I couldn't wait to hear all the details.
We had a blast.
On the way to pick her up, I called my best-lawyer friend. I'll call her Sharky, because she devours any challenge in front of her. It was her birthday. Didn't I get the e-mail? I hadn't checked in days. Oh.
Well, she was hosting drinks at a bar in the gayborhood. I had to come. So after dinner and a long walk, I dropped the Globetrottter back off at the airport and headed over to the gayborhood.
When I arrived, a table full of recently licensed young lawyers congratulated me. They poured a toast for me, and I could've melted with warmth. I felt sooo special.
We laughed and heard the story of how Sharky picked her husband in college. She made a list of the top 10 guys to whom she was attracted and then proceeded to ask all of them out on dates. She then re-ranked her list and amended it with pro's and con's for each of them. Her criteria was a multi-point system that began with appearance and ended with the bachelor's finer points of political opinion. We all just gasped. One of the women at the table had actually told me how she had hired a dating coach! So I remarked to her, I don't know how you would need one if you're friends with Sharky!
We eventually made it out of there and headed over to the currently coolest gay bar in town. I couldn't believe even some of the most overtly fag-hag females in the group had not yet been. I got tipsy in about 2 seconds. Total lightweight. Eventually, me and this chubby lawyer went to check out all the guys. We did so, only to come across no one other than Steroid boi himself, in all his glory. He was wearing a fitted black t-shirt, jeans, and a black base ball cap. He was also wearing just a barely discernible amount of make-up. YUM.
I headed over there and he was surprised when he saw me. He reached out to me, we lightly hugged, and then he introduced me to this older man standing next to him. He said, "This is my best friend." Hmmmm.... odd, I thought. To be continued...
1 comment:
Hey,
Thanks for the comments.
How did the LSATs go? What are your top choices for Law school? As you might have read I am interested in getting an MPH and then eventually a Law or a Business degree.
I sense that you are quite proud of your school as well. I have a feeling you attend school in Cali. Am I right?
Goodluck with finals. Mine start in three days and I am very royally screwed.
Cheers,
Erik
p.s. you have AIM?
Post a Comment