So this post is long over due, and it's it only befitting that I write it while pigging out late at night. But I just came back from a Landmark event that was awesome---so I'm happy either way:)Geeez.... after doing anything Landmark, things become so simple. So this post, I gather will be over-simplified at first and require elaboration later.
Aestheticism as a way of being is the valuing of beauty, a physical representation that alludes to a transcendent reality. Sounds like bullshit right? Here's the paraphrase: It's essentially when a collection of parts transcends their sum. It is when all the parts of a face cease being parts and harmonize to be more than just a face, but a representation of something that eludes words. It's inspiring.
So for me, aestheticism is not necessarily about being aroused. It's about having access to this transcendent reality via the corporeal dimension of my partner. So what is the deal with this mode of access? I suppose it is idiosyncratic. Some people get it via words, or other ways of being... but to me, that's all just so... cerebral. I should perhaps say serial. These other access modes require steps and a diachronic-like process. In contrast, "looks" occur in a near instant. It's like they say--a picture is worth a thousand words--and it's all in a single discrete step. I guess I'm just impatient:)
"Leagues" will wait to a later post.

1 comment:
"It's inspiring."
Really? But how can you be inspired if you don't have the basic 'beauty goods'? and this is why such a small number of people in society have the 'x factor'...
Dunno, I think it's all an illusion...
Post a Comment