Wednesday, April 04, 2007

I'm going to get kicked out

So the Buddhist group leader has been wierd around me pretty much since the first time I attended. He's kept his cool but occasional slip-ups in his demeanor indicate that he is really scared of me. To believe so seems so super cocky but I feel a kick coming and I will be on the receiving end.

Why I think he doesn't like me
During dinner, Buddhis girl revealed that during all of high school, she was a loner. I said that I was the same. Except that while she was the quite girl who chose to disappear (the way I sort of am now), I was the aggressive kid who challenged the core of the curriculum. When I told her that teachers used to sit me in the back corner of the classrooms in order to avoid having to call on me, she quickly smiled and said, "I knew you." She explained that she was good friends with people like me back then. I guess she wasn't such a loner.

I've done the same in the Buddhist group. I can't tell whether its been for egotistical or selfless reasons. The founder dominates the group far too much. He's thinking now of changing it to make it more "top to bottom" instead of "bottom to top". He's apparently bored or dissatisfied with how people coming to the group with enough "dedication" or "commitment". Will this group be one more that bites the dust as it goes from openness to leader-centric? Seems like that case will be so soon. A friend of mine turns out had tried the group out a few years back. He left for this same reason. He said, "There isn't a meeting in which that 'guy' doesn't talk 99% of the time."

I still jump in when he's talking. I can't stand being bored. On occasion, he'll say some funny and unexpected stuff. Like, "I'd like to sit down with you for some pizza and a beer sometime." Or referring to me at times as his "esteemed colleague." Most recently, he threw in possibly making me his "navigator"... his "right hand man." It's flattering to some degree but scary too. What if I cannot give him what he wants? What if I am a let down? Oh well.

He has written some pretty legendary stuff. I think I'll start by reading those and referring to them during meetings.

No comments: