Monday, November 09, 2009

The Milkman


Halloween was a blast. First halloween when I was really gay =)

But, I had a bone to pick before Halloween w/ the lawyer. It was the Thursday before the big day, and he was doing his morning cardio. I timed it just right, and I went up to him and asked how he was.

Fine, he said w/ a big smile, how r u?
Good. I said.
Are you guys doing anything for halloween? I asked.
No, he said, with a funny smile as he increased the intensity of the steps on the stairclimber.
Oh, I said, why not? There are so many cool parties on that night. You guys should do something.
He smiled. What are you doing? he asked.
I'm going to a ball.
Oh yea? He asked.
What are you dressing up as?
I got onto the climber next to his. We were going to have a conversation.
Well, I was thinking of being the gay version of the milkman.
He lit up. Like a christmas tree.
That's a FANTASTIC idea! He said.
I reeled back. Really? I asked, sort of confused.
Yea! I mean you have the whole metaphor of the white cream, the bottles, and even the machines!
The machines? I asked even more confused.
Well yea! You know the machines they use to milk the cows. You know, they like "suck" the cows dry! And customer service!
Oh whoa. Uhm, wow, I didn't think of all that. I just thought it was a cool juxtaposition to the 1950s image of innocence.
Well, there's that too, he said, still excited. "There are just so many places to which your mind can go with that idea. You... you should patent that," he trailed off.
I was shocked.
Uhm, wow. Yea, I suppose I had not thought of that.
He went serious suddenly. Picked up his blackberry, and then forgot I was there.
I got off the machine.
Uhm, I guess I'll see you later, I said.
He didn't even look up at me.
He seemed to be straining to not express something on his face. Like he was really embarrassed.
Yea, see you later, he said without looking at me.
Whoa, wtf?
I walked off.
What was that?

No comments: