Saturday, July 26, 2008

Awesome Dinner with Dad & an Informative Night Out


I'm running 45 minutes late, and there's nothing I can do to make traffic disappear. My dad is usually ALWAYS late, but this time, it's me. Fuck.

I thought it was going to be an awful dinner, and though he initially did look rather annoyed and perturbed I made a huge effort to focus the conversation on him. I asked him how his day went, how he was feeling, etc. He quickly loosened up and he was talking up a storm. I also very forthrightly apologized to him over the phone just before arriving.

The conversation took an interesting twist, first when I asked if we could speak in multiple languages, and second when I said that I realized I wanted to have kids. He got pretty serious in demeanor at that point, and he listened intently. But I stopped talking, and let him stew in what I had said. So he then spilled his beans. He said that interestingly enough a young associate of his had recently been curious about having children, and as his mentor, asked my father, "When did you first realize that you wanted to be a father?"

Yea--quick aside: I love how my father has these really GREAT moments with other people who are NOT family, but like with his own, he's like a freagin' rock--just silent unless you go through all these ploys to get him to talk. I'm at least glad that I've learned the protocol to getting him to open up.

It's funny because he didn't immediately provide the answer to this question. I saw him hold himself back. I knew the answer right away, and I suppose he must have thought that it would've surprised me. I always new my father never wanted to be a father. He hated spending time with us, rarely did anything fatherly, and many a time just treated us/me like pets that could talk. It was his loss, and I know that his latter years would be quite empty and unfulfilling if it weren't for us, his kids. But I knew that he came to this realization REALLY LATE in life.

So, after a little more banter to-and-fro, my father finally delivered the lines that comprised the highlight of the dinner: "The first time I had the desire to be a father was when I was 46".

HAHA--I could've told you THAT! Tis what I wanted to say, but I held back, and just gave my dad a blank and empty, but welcoming look, in an attempt to communicate, that's alright, my self-worth, thank goodness, is now totally independent of whether I felt wanted by you or not, and even from whether you actually wanted me or not.

He said that one day, he realized that what he always wanted to do was take a kid to school everyday. As soon as he let those words come from his mouth, my father took a quick breath and immediately exhaled all the 'have-to-do's' that come with his job. Yea. All those things prevented him from taking his kids to school every morning.

BS. Really, no joke. BS. What's really at issue? Gender roles. I've heard my dad say it and I've seen him abide by these roles as if they were inscribed in the sky, as if they were mandates from heaven.

Oh well, again, his loss.

He went on by saying that similar to women, men have biological clocks and an innate instinct to reproduce. He also added that the most important thing to remember as a parent was that you must be aware that in fulfilling your need (i.e. having kids), you were also creating needs of real people (i.e. the needs of the children), and that in meeting your need (for children), you had to legitimately address the needs of totally separate people (i.e. the needs of the children). Again, I've been vocalizing this aspect of my father's fathering for ages now. Still, I find it radical to hear it straight from his mouth.

He made a BIG point about these statements as if they were huge realizations. Now, let me take a step back, and acknowledge something. My dad grew up during a very depressing era of his immediate region. My father has been through things that really don't allow for much of a private thought-life. There were too many necessities prying at the mind to let non-survival-oriented thoughts take root. So for him, these realizations are a big deal.

But, as soon as he was done stating these things and as soon as I gave time for a pause long enough to create some distance between what he had just said, and what I was about to say, I said, "I don't view children as means to fulfilling my needs." and I went on about how I could live a fine life without ever having children, and how my ultimate goal was not in reproducing myself because I felt some biological need to do so (puhlease, I am more than a machine with survival instincts), but because I have come to understand the potential of increasing my contribution to the evolution of our species by raising children.

His expression made me think that he didn't totally see this opinion coming. I expounded on my idea. Everything from me understanding that romance is not enough for a relationship or enough to hold together a family, to my need to live a modest lifestyle during my young adult years so that I could have the financial flexibility I wanted when raising my children. We talked a good bit, and the evening went exceedingly well. My dad seemed to be in major agreement with me.

So, with all this being said, are you the ready for the ironic twist coming? There are multiple layers to this twist... so keep your eyes open ;)

So SB texted me asking if I wanted to go out tonight. I didn't want to but its my last couple of weeks of freedom before school starts, so I was like what the hell. Okay.

I looked frumpy and SB lost all this weight, lots of it muscle, but surprisingly, lots of it fat??? He's always been ripped, but his face looked thinner and more chiseled. He looked incredible. I was like, Oy, this is not going to be fun tonight if I want to be paid any attention, because standing next to him I won't get any :(

Oh well. Turns out that James, from near the very-end of this post, was with the group. Whoa... I found a sly way to ask James about his alternative career. He hit the roof at first asking how the hell did I know about it, but then, he was an open source of tremendous amounts of information including how to never get caught, market rates and their determinants, extra amenities, sliding scale rates, and of course best practices :)

Holy shit.

I learned a butt-load in like 45 minutes. How does he know all this and how could I trust his advice? Well, for one, he laughed big about lawyers. "I fuck SOOO many lawyers, and I know about the rules because a couple of cops are also clients!" he said with an enormous grin.

Holy shit.

Oh yea. I learned everything I could ever want to learn! EVERYTHING. This guy makes a KILLING and he's among the most successful as he is apparently considered to be top-of-the-line. Leave it to SB to hook me up with the best ;)

SB invited the group to a different club, and so I parted ways. I have shit to do. Side bit here: this incredibly gorgeous guy at my gym--who I've overheard saying homophobic shit--bartends at this gay club shirtless! HAHA. So are the gays his bitches for paying him, or is he our bitch for going nearly butt naked for us? Ahhh... the paradoxes are endless in this game.

No comments: