Thursday, December 11, 2008

the Pressure


No... not regarding finals... but pressure of a different kind.

I met up with Ring Girl and her grandmother recently. It was a big deal b/c Ring Girl (RG) has hated everyone in her family. She's the black sheep, and her whole life she has only ever related to this one grandmother of hers who was also valedictorian of her class and was spunky just like RG. So it was a big ol' deal for her that her grandmother was coming to the city for the first time to see her. Actually, RG was flying her grandmother to go see her best friend's grave--who died in WWII and who she never got see be bured b/c she didn't have the money. So yea, big deal.

Now, being gay, and not having had many relationships, and no serious boyfriend ever, I'm quite aware of the role of friends as family. So I took the opp to meet RG's grandma, b/c well, in a way RG and I are like family.

We had a blast. But after the meeting, RG commented that her grandma asked, "So Tino doesn't do girls?" RG thought she had forgotten that I was gay. So she explained again what it meant to be gay. But her grandmother said, "No, no. I know that he's gay. But won't he get with a girl just to get with one??? To have kids???" RG just said, "I don't know grandma... I don't know." And her grandma said, "What a shame.... that kid should have some kids..."

Yea, it made me laugh... but then I told Asian Girl about this (my other BFF), and she gave me the most unexpected respose--"That's what we've all been wondering Tino."

What the hell is that supposed to mean????


And yesterday, I was on the phone talking to my dad and I was running by him some of the stuff that my gay parents have taken me to see. You know classical performances, dinners, etc. Then I switched the conversation to a friend I was helping to get a job. I noted that the kid has a crush on me, and I'm sure that it has something to do with me helping him--and then, as if overwhelmed by all this gay talk--my dad just interrupted and asked, "How's Buddhist Girl (the girl I crushed on my final year of undergrad who's now here in the city for an internship)?"

WTF?

Wats up with people???

I just gotta go hang out with my gay parents and remember that life is just as good, if not better, being gay.

No comments: