Tuesday, March 11, 2008

In-between

I went to dinner with my godmom on Sunday. I brought the envelopes with me. She was late so I was at the bar when she arrived. As she sat down, I plopped the first envelope in front of her. "Top 15," PLOP. "Top 10," PLOP. "Top 5," PLOP.

She pulled the letters out and read them more carefully than I had. She got so excited when she saw her favorite. It was the lowest ranked of the 3.

Rank.

Yep, it matters. Maybe not so much in other fields, but there are no snobs like legal snobs. It's a white shoe culture. The school name can determine so much.


I got the rundown from Sharky yesterday and today on the intricacies of reputation. My choice--a social life and an incredible reputation? Or no social life with the future potential of an unbeatable reputation?

Sharky went to a top 3 school. She says they are unique for the future opportunities they can afford. If it were ugrad, I'd be like, 'whatever.' But this is professional school. There aren't any more stops along the way.

I still have yet to hear back from the top 3. I'm not holding my breath, but even if I did get in, I would have a hard time, dare I say a nearly impossible time saying no to a school that can give me a top 5 reputation but with an awesome social life as well. So the choice is, go straight to a top 3 school, if I get in. Or go to a top 10 school (not the #4 or #5), kick ass amongst the largely less superb students, and then transfer into a top 3 school. Eh, what's a few years of socializing right? I'll make it up later, right?


It's my young adulthood. This is when all the shit usually happens. Life = relationships. No relationships = no quality of life. I don't have to reach 60 to figure out that no-brainer. Can I use the prestige of my degree to kill two birds with one stone? Must these aims be necessarily at odds?

What's more there's apparently a small number of people with whom I can chat about this. Most people tell me to shut the f*ck up and be more than happy that I broke into the top 5.

Those who got into all of the top 5--well, they just sort of *yawn*. I'm so grateful for Sharky.
Either way... I'm determined to find a way to get both-- they're just too valuable.

No comments: