Sunday, June 12, 2011

Parents

My mom just called me. I graduated last month. My parents and I spent a long time during that week. All we did was talk. We never argued. It was amazing. My siblings were mostly out of the country doing their own things. My favorite brother has not been speaking to me for almost 1.5 yrs now. He boycotted my graduation despite both of my parents asking him to come. My told me that he just lost his job. He told me in private b/c he's been not wanting to worry my mother.

My mother was moving some of our old things from one house to another. She needed some help so she asked me to tell my father. She called me about an hour later to tell me that I didn't have to tell him. He was already there. My father lives a LONG way from that house. I was surprised.

Today my mother called me again. She and my father talked a lot while moving the things. About his upcoming non-profit trip, the kids, my graduation, my new apartment. My mom said it was a very "tender" moment. She said that after all maybe he's not such a bad guy. Then she paused, and said, "Well, I wasn't very nice to him either when we were together..."

I didn't say anything. I was just surprised. My father's wife does not talk to him. She hates him. She's also not nearly as attractive as my mom -- hence why I have a full half brother who is older than some of my half siblings. Doesn't every person with divorced parents wonder if they might get back together again?

No comments: